Early Physicians of Brooksville
20 Broad St. (US 41), Brooksville, FL, 34601
Hogan’s Law Firm (rear)
Enter the SunTrust Bank drive-through parking lot on S. Broad St., halfway between N. Main St. and N. Orange Ave.
Mural Creation Sponsors
Hernando County Tourism Bureau and Victor Heins
Photo Credit: Photographs are the property of Emilio "Sonny" Vergara and can be used by the Hernando County Fine Arts Council. Any other use of the photographs must have his permission (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Community leaders who truly healed
Artist Diane Becker painted the mural to look like sepia-toned photographs. All of the doctors depicted were community leaders, philanthropists, and land holders. Dr. Creekmore started his practice in 1906 and continued practicing until his death at age 90. He was among the founding fathers of Hernando County Hospital in 1925. His office was over what is now Main St. Eatery. Dr. Harvard, son of a doctor, obtained a medical degree in 1930 and worked in the community until his death in 1964. Dr. Sheldon Stringer, Sr. 1834-1903, was a general practitioner, surgeon, and druggist. He was a wonderful speaker and wrote an 80-page speech in 1870 about local education needs. He had an office in what is now the May-Stringer House, where he added a room on for his practice.
Dr. Howell T. Lykes came to Brooksville as a young boy and joined the Confederate army at age 15. Upon his return from the war, he practiced for two years before turning his practice over to his brother-in-law, Dr. Sheldon Stringer, Sr. This freed Dr. Lykes to build the Lykes Brothers dynasty. He had seven sons who continued the shipbuilding, ranching, meat processing, and sugar industries their father had started. The family donated more than $100,000 over 20 years to the local Hernando County Hospital, which was renamed Lykes Memorial Hospital, later Brooksville Regional, and now Bayfront Health Brooksville.